Monday, May 13, 2013

Hummingbirds

 We have lots of birds in our area. We have the noisy black birds, the crows and the little birds with the red chest. I don't know what they are but they have nests in our trees and awnings.

Then, we have the hummingbirds. When we moved here years ago, I looked them up. The pair that we currently have nesting are Anna's hummingbirds. Our porch is covered in honeysyvle so it is a constant food source. This year they have taken up housekeepoing on the front porch post.

I am not quite sure how I missed the beginning of the nest building but one day I noticed the momma hummingbird bringing little bits of fluff and tucking it into the nest. I was shocked. The nest is out in the open. Earlier this month the mom and dad spent time coming up to the dog and I on the porch and checking us out. Our dog is oblivious to birds so they were satisfied they were safe.



I posted the picture below on Facebook yesterday. I am surprised at the interest. I guess it's not everyday that a hummingbird sits for a picture but they don't move unless we get too close. So here is the daddy sitting on the eggs. It is going to be another scorcher today, topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit but mom and dad will be there taking turns. It is shady in the afternoon so at least they aren't in direct sunlight. They are such a treat to watch.
 I am waiting for an opportunity to check out what is in the nest. Although it is only 6 feet away, we have stopped using the front porch steps because we don't want to scare them. They let us know they are not far away so I am biding my time for a closeup.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, we have hummingbirds too, they are magical! We have a hummingbird feeder which they seem to like. I'm curious as to what's in the nest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL! I always put out a hummingbird feeder. We found an old hummingbird nest when we were trimming back some shrubs. My sister and her family had to quit using the front door when a bird family set up housekeeping in a basket of flowers hanging on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love humming birds. Around here we get a variety of birds, including 4 ft storks, but I haven't seen any humming birds. Here's hoping you find a couple very sweet surprises in that nest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous- although I am and always will be partial to birds. Hummingbirds are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing place they picked, and it turned out to be safe! Dad's doing a good job nesting.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List